Membership in the Sovereign Order appeals particularly to those who:
- Are highly accomplished individuals of great integrity
- Believe in charity and enjoy the traditions of chivalry
- Wish to serve in a group of like-minded individuals
- Are Christian and believe in an ecumenical focus
- Support charity based on the recipient’s need and not religion
- Consider membership to be an honour.
Membership is by invitation. To qualify for an invitation, interested people must have the following qualifications:
- Excellent reputation
- Record of philanthropy in terms of time, talent or treasure
- 23 years of age or older. There are provisions for younger members as Squires or Demoiselles. The sponsoring members should check Section VIII of the Rules.
A prospective member must have two members’ (in good standing) willing to sponsor him/her who have known the potential member for at least two years. Usually, one of the potential sponsors invites the individual to join.
There are formalities thereafter as the sponsor seeks the approval of the Commandery for the potential member. These include completion of a Petition for Admission (application). It is the responsibility of the sponsors to ensure the process is followed.
Once accepted for Membership, the applicant becomes an Aspirant and is usually invested as a Dame or Knight of Honour at the next Investiture Service for that Commandery.