Membership in the Sovereign Order appeals particularly to those who:
- Are highly accomplished individuals of great integrity
- Believe in charity and enjoy the traditions of chivalry
- Wish to serve in a group of like-minded individuals
- Are Christian and believe in an ecumenical focus
- Support charity based on the recipient’s need and not religion
- Consider membership to be an honour.
Membership is by invitation. To qualify for an invitation, interested people must have the following qualifications:
- Excellent reputation
- Record of philanthropy in terms of time, talent or treasure
- 23 years of age or older. Commanderies may require greater age. There are occasionally used provisions for younger members as Squires or Demoiselles. The sponsoring member should check Section VIII of the Rules.
A prospective member must have two members willing to sponsor them who have known the potential member for at least two years in normal circumstances. Usually, one of the potential sponsors invites the individual to join.
There are formalities thereafter as the sponsor seeks the approval of the Commandery for the application. These include an application form (Petition for Admission) and so forth. It is the responsibility of the sponsors to see that the needed process is followed.
Once accepted for Membership, the applicant becomes an Aspirant and is usually invested as a Dame or Knight of Honour at the next Investiture for that Commandery.